Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Home Sweet Home











We all slept under the same roof for the first time last night (monday) and boy was it a long time coming! 67 days we have been separated. In some ways it seems like it's been a lifetime and in others it seems like only yesterday that we were all swept onto this ride. I remember my first time seeing Veda in the hospital. My visit was a short one because all I could do was cry. It was the hardest thing I had ever experienced, seeing my little girl like that. I was so scared for her, and at that moment I felt utterly helpless to her. I'm so glad that I was able to return to the hospital that next day ready to stay by her side as she had the fight for her life ahead. Don't get me wrong, there were many times that I wanted to go bury my head in the sand until this whole thing was over. Not knowing up front what the ramifications of her early delivery would have, we were on the edge. We realize just how fortunate we are to have our strong willed little girl healthy and happy at home.



Back to our first night... long first night. Yes, I felt an urge to keep one eye open at all times to monitor her breathing. As it turned out, there was no need. She let me know all night long that she was doing fine. Veda loves to make all kinds of little noises while she sleeps. She even wiggled her way out of three diapers and poopied three sets of jammies. Until she's able to pack a little junk in that trunk, we'll need to stick with a onesie to hold those diapers in place at night.


The doctor warned us that Veda may experience a little lag in her feeding due to being in a new environment. She disagrees with the doctor. Veda's been eating more than ever. She's eating every 3-4 hours and taking about 2.5 ounces a time, which exceeds her hospital intake.


Veda will miss all the great nurses and doctors at the NICU. She'll now be moving on to her new entourage of care - so far I have the Pediatrician tomorrow, the mother baby appt next week, the physical therapist later this month and a phone consult with a nutritionist in a couple of weeks. We're going to be busy!!!

6 comments:

  1. I've been checking the blog since yesterday waiting for this news! I am so very happy for you. Can't wait to come see you and hold sweet little Veda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pic of Byrd checking out Veda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I am crying right now for you! I am so happy for you! What a sweet sweet baby... what a sweet sweet family you have now! Can't wait to meet her!

    Much love,
    Winde & Juan plus6

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im so happy for you! I can't believe the day finally came!! I can't wait to meet her. Im so glad you finally get to spend your days with her at home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray! It's great to hear that your Veda is home and doing well. That pic of Byrd meeting Veda is the best. We can't wait to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are so thrilled for the Gordon family! I heard about the good news from Jerry's FB page, but am so glad to see the pics here now.
    Please let us know if we can help you out in any way. I know Kate probably shouldn't come over for a while, but I would be happy to bring dinner over for you guys next week once your mom leaves.
    We love you guys and couldn't be happier for Veda's arrival home!

    ReplyDelete